Sunday, October 2, 2016

Southwestern Breakfast Scramble - Brunch is Served!




September passed like a whirlwind...



We started the month with a new school year and I can hardly believe that my oldest two are in 2nd and 3rd grade already. New teachers, new lessons and the end of lazy summer days outside. Our days  quickly filled with alarms and new school schedules. It didn't leave a lot of time for kitchen creativity.

Some nights I hit the pillow and feel grateful that we all made it through another day. Everyone was fed, but between work and keeping up with the kids' requests, it didn't leave much time or energy. Ever feel like that?



Not to mention my youngest is deep in potty training... and following in his Mommy's footsteps. Future food blogger. maybe? Currently he prefers video, but we can work with that! Which leads me to today's recipe share.

Being a busy Mom, ready to face fall, school carnivals and empty stomachs, I was excited to find Sarah's recipe for this Southwestern Breakfast Scramble as my October Secret Recipe Club blog assignment.

If you haven't seen Sarah's blog, Things I Make (For Dinner), you have to check it out! I have had the pleasure to blog with Sarah in the #BookClubCookbookCC group as we read and cooked our way through a year of deliciously inspired dishes. Sarah loves to cook and you will find a whole variety of delicious recipes on her blog for everything from Cherry Pecan Bread to Tandoori-style Chicken Burgers.

With the fall weather finally hitting Oregon, I was really excited to see all of Sarah's yummy comfort food recipes, like her Parmesan-crusted Stuffed Chicken. Yum!


But, I finally selected her hearty Southwestern  Breakfast Scramble. It was the perfect brunch option for a drizzly weekend. It was also simple, and tasted amazing!

I love any chance I can use up eggs... yes, I may have too many hens at the moment! There were a few late chicks from my broody hens. Hard as I tried to dissuade them from laying, they still managed to add a few young hens to the flock. This was also a great chance to use our farm's fresh salsa. Sorry, my husband and kids all prefer mild salsa. I think this dish was delicious with mild, but would be amazing with a little kick... or a few stray jalapenos. Just saying...


Do here is the cast of characters. I bet you have most, if not all, of these items in your fridge and pantry already.

And yes, on the left... those are tortilla chips. Just trust me.


Start by whisking the eggs and milk.

Yup, whip it good...


Then when the eggs are almost set, pile on the black beans, chips, salsa and cheese. Top them off with a lid and let them get all melty and cozy.


Before serving garnish with the green onions and a little more cheese.

We served three and still had leftovers for the next day. As Sarah mentioned in her post, they re-heat beautifully the next day so don't skimp.

This was a great hearty meal. The chips soften up in the eggs and salsa, so it is more like a breakfast casserole with some occasional crunch. So good. I will definitely be making this more over the cold months.

Ready for the recipe?



Southwestern Breakfast Scramble
from Things I Make (For Dinner)

You will need:

  • 6 eggs
  • 6 Tbsp. milk
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 c. tortilla chips
  • 1 c. salsa
  • 1 c shredded cheese
  • 4 green onions, sliced

Whisk together the eggs and milk in a medium bowl.

In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. When the pan is heated, add the eggs and with a spatula, pull the eggs towards the center of the pan as they cook.

When the eggs are 3/4 set, add the drained beans, chips, salsa and cheese to the top. Cover the pan and let the eggs cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Serve immediately garnished with sliced green onion and additional cheese, if desired.

Enjoy!



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!